Friday, June 29, 2012

Best Wife Ever Award


I believe congratulations are in order! I was just awarded the "Best Wife Ever Award" by my husband. I scored some major "good wife" points when I finally did something he has been asking me to do for him forever. And I actually really enjoyed it!
Hey, hey, now.... this isn't that kind of blog. Get your mind out of the gutter!
We're talking some good, clean, wholesome activities here!
I made homemade granola! I'm sure you all have a recipe or two that takes you back to your childhood every time you eat it. This recipe does that for him.
Warning- this recipe makes a TON of granola.
Warning #2- This granola is SUPER filling, and you get full way faster than with any other cereal. We sadly wasted a bit the first time we ate it, because I dished up a normal cereal amount to all the kids, and none of them could finish their bowls. (Ok, you caught me, my eyes were bigger than my stomach too.)
Warning #3- it bakes a very long time, and you have to keep stirring every so often. So its not a "set it and forget it" type of recipe. But its so worth it!
So, disclaimers out of the way, heres the recipe-


Combine in a BIG bowl the following-

-14 cups rolled oats (I told you it makes a lot!)
(7 of those cups could also be substituted with rolled wheat if you can find it)
-2 cups coconut
-2 cups wheat germ
-nuts- we used sliced almonds, but use whatever kind you prefer

Melt together:
-1/2 cup oil
-1/2 cup salted butter
-1 cup water
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 cup honey
-3 tsp. cinnamon
-2 tsp. vanilla

Add the above melted mixture to your big bowl, mix by hand.

Spread onto 2 big cookie sheets.

Bake at 250, stirring every 30 minutes, for 2 1/2 hours. Longer if you like it crunchier. (keeping in mind that it will get slightly crunchier when it cools)
Rotate the sheets and switch racks halfway through to make sure they are evenly baked.

If you want, you can add raisins in at the end.



This was an awesome activity to get the kids in on. 
My kids loved getting their hands in there and mixing it up. Yes, it did make a huge mess. Oats EVERYWHERE! But they had a good time.



So if you are aspiring to win a "Wife of the Year Award", try making some of this delicious granola. I guess the old adage is true! The way to a mans heart really is through his stomach!






Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...