Thursday, July 26, 2012

Bedroom Mini-Makeover under $100 all in 1 weekend!

A while back, I was visiting my family for my brothers wedding. Since I was making the trip anyway, I decided to stay for 3 whole weeks and get my moneys worth! Pregnancy hormones fully kicked in by now, I immediately saw something that needed my nesting energy! Behold my little sisters room-


Lots of potential, but too much stuff and mismatched! 


Maybe I can get her to actually use the hooks she has for towels and swimsuits!




Her room used to be pink and green, and she still had a few things from that previous color scheme, so I knew it was updating time. 


She is currently 17. She had a lot of pics on that bulletin board from when she was 11!!! And no recent ones! Im all for nostalgia, but come on girl.


Wanna know what was in the red gift bag?
NOTHING! yet still, there it sat. 


Ask me how much of the stuff on that table that she actually needed/used. MAYBE 5 items. As you can see, we had our work cut out.
So, first we had to get rid of all the junk. Nothing was left untouched. We went through every single drawer, shelf, table, cubby, desk and box that was in that room. If it hadn't been worn in 6 months- gone. If it was not in good condition- gone. (ok, we did keep a few things for girls camp purposes) If it looked like it was borrowed from a "tween"s room- gone. If she didn't give me a "keep" without hesitation- gone. Now, I'm not a total jerk. This was aside from the stuff with sentimental value. I had her put those things neatly in her Hope Chest. She wanted to keep a lot of things that were special to her, but they didn't necessarily need to be displayed. Surprisingly, she didn't really put up a fight about anything. My mom however, was a different story. She must not be ready to accept the fact that her baby (she's the youngest) is growing up! We kept hearing phrases such as, "but she got that when we visited you in Germany!" or "but those were her first pair of real heels!".  So after a few hours and a little convincing, we had every bit of unwanted stuff loaded up in the Suburban on its way to be donated.
Don't worry, we didn't get rid of that cutie peeking over the seats!


This pic shows only the stuff we donated, there was yet another 4 trash bags that we took to a consignment shop! And still about 4 more bags full stuff we trashed. 
So after clearing out everything including furniture, we gave it a good clean and did a little rearranging. Then the shopping began! We got some new curtains, new sheets and bedspread, new wall decor, new (thrifted) lamp, new baskets for organizing/hiding stuff.



Now look at what a little hard work and creativity can do! So clean, simple and relaxing as opposed to the cluttered, uncoordinated mess it was just a few short days prior!


 The big purple woven basket we found at Ross and holds school and church books, journal and some odds and ends. That lamp was from a thrift store, but we bought the shade new. Everything else on the table she already owned. But we did spruce the candles up a bit by tying some pretty purple ribbon around them. 


I couldn't convince them to let me paint the desk, (my vote was a nice deep purple!) which was a thrift find, so its still scratched and brown. Maybe next time I come to visit!!! The corners of the dry erase board used to be bright green. I just used a little acrylic paint and painted them purple. Took under 5 minutes and made a big difference! We spray painted the once gold mirror frame and that tiny little frame with a pic of our grandparents, white. The purple basket on the desk was a steal at Ross. It holds lotions, perfume, etc. And see the black frame with the white temple? It originally had glass with some sort of quote on it, but my sweet 3 year old "helper" stepped right on it and it shattered into a million pieces. So we kept the frame and ordered some vinyl from this etsy shop, since I hadn't packed my Silhouette in my suitcase. ;) Applied the vinyl to the wall, and hung the frame around it. The "glamorous" sign she already had and I think it was bought at Kohls. 




Heres a closer look at the necklace holder my dad and I made. It was a piece of wood that was in the packaging of the new dishwasher my parents had just bought. It was sitting out in the dishwasher box when I spotted it and knew what it needed to become. A necklace holder! (good-bye old butterfly holder!) I painted the edges purple, and slapped some scrapbook paper (from Michaels) on it with some Mod Podge. My dad screwed in the little cup hooks while I made the kids lunch, we put a sawtooth hanger on the back and voila! A necklace holder!
I thought I was super creative, but then I saw that it had already been done. Of course. Pinterest. Of course. Does that ever happen to you? You think you have this original, creative, brilliant idea, then find out someone has already been there, done that?! I hate that! Bursts my bubble big time. Anyway....


The flower in the middle I painted for her forever ago, and the 2 polka dot canvases are her very own works of art. She just turned her waste basket upside down and traced circles then painted them in!


Isn't the hope chest gorgeous? I have one similar at home too. Our sweet daddy had them made custom for us by a neighbor for Christmas last year. We love them! She loved the fabric that was on the top of it, but it was brown, green and red. So for the time being we just used an extra sheet to cover the top to make it more cohesive.


The frame of the cork board, as well as the frame holding some dried flowers my dad brought back from his deployment for her, also got a fresh coat of white paint.
We downsized and updated the items on the cork board. Yes, the Aladdin and Jasmine picture is recent!
Here's the before and after side by side.


Here's the price breakdown-
Sheer white curtains from Ross for $13
Purple dot bedspread from Ross for $15
Big Purple woven basket from Ross- $9
Smaller purple basket from Ross- $7
1 can white spray paint from Home Depot -$4
1 can purple spray paint from Home Depot -$4
4 sheets purple damask paper from Michaels- $2.40
2 canvases from Michaels -$14 ($7 each)
Spray painted lamp from D.I.- $6
Lamp Shade from Target- $10
Purple sheets from Target clearance - $14
purple and brown acrylic paint already had- $0
wood and hooks for necklace holder already had- $0

Grand total- $98.40

Not too shabby huh? I call it a mini-makeover because we left the walls the same color, kept the same overall color scheme, and there was no big projects to complete. But there is nothing "mini" about the difference we made! A little de-cluttering (ok, A LOT!!!), spray painting, and a few new items give this room a whole new feel everyone agrees is a big improvement. Yep, even Mom.

Tip Junkie handmade projects
HookingupwithHoHOneCreativeMommy.comPhotobucketSixSistersStuff.com
the Grant life
Positively Splendid

Today's Creative Blog
Pin It Now!

24 comments:

  1. Nali and I had a good time "re-living" this. Can I hire you? (I STILL have your growing up stuff in bins in the attic...just can't part with them yet!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved it! I'll work for you guys free of charge!

      Delete
    2. So...when are you coming back to Provo? I could use some serious advice/help with my house. I've been wanting curtains since I moved in but have no idea what to do. Also, I'm pretty sure your blog design came from my friend's store---we used to work together at BYU. Small World:)
      -Barbara

      Delete
    3. small world indeed! is your friend meg clifford? she's awesome and has helped me a TON! i'm not sure of the next time we'll be in town (its never as often as we'd like!) but if/when we are back, I'd love to help. or hey, send me some pics, and I'll send you back some ideas! I do have a post in the works about curtains too. I've used shower curtains and tablecloths as curtains in my house. think outside the box! you could follow me to make sure you don't miss it!

      Delete
  2. Great job! Everything looks so nicely organized. You should come over and work on a few rooms in my house! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THanks, Hopefully she keeps it that way! There's nothing more satisfying than putting some organization in a space! (ok, that might be a stretch, but its a wonderful feeling!)

      Delete
  3. Well, look at that! Fantastic transformation and she is just beautiful! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from One Creative Mommy. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/08/make-it-pretty-monday-week-9.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm happy to claim her! And thanks for the invite, you're sweet!

      Delete
  4. It looks very cute. Now, if she can only keep it that clean!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats what I said! I'll call her now and then just to ask her if she is!

      Delete
  5. Hi! Visiting from tt&j. Wow! What a transformation! I love the pop of purple in the room! Its all so pretty. What a great sister :)

    If you get a chance I would love for you to share this (and any other awesome post you have) at my Friday link party!
    http://www.thegrantlife.com/2012/08/financial-friday-fabulous-features.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love having a little sister! My prayers were finally answered after 3 little brothers! Thanks for the invite- on my way to your blog right now!

      Delete
  6. Purple is one of my favourite colours - and this looks great. Good work!!

    Sarah
    http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm partial to pink myself, but love the colors she chose and how it turned out! Thanks for taking the time to come over and join!

      Delete
  7. Auntie Annie just bought a piece of furniture, wants to take a pic, and send it your way for advice. Be looking for it! And believe it or not...she's keeping it clean! So happy your prayers were answered and you got your little sister. She sure loves you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to help Auntie! And Sissy's love is not unrequited! She's such a good little sister.

      Delete
  8. You are a great sister!! Don't you love when the pregnancy nesting kicks in!! The room looks so cute! You have quite a talent and gift for decorating! Thanks so much for linking up to our "Strut Your Stuff Saturday!" We loved having you and hope you'll be back soon! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously?! The 6 sisters just commented on MY blog? somebody pinch me! I will most definitely be coming back to party it up, and thanks for taking the time to come over!

      Delete
  9. The new room looks so much better! I love the clean look. Great job. See you next week at a One Creative Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. great job! i'm sure she loves her "new" space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does love it! And last I talked with her, it was still a clean and organized "new" space! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. I'm totally impressed!! Need to come to Atlanta any time soon? I have a couple of rooms that need some TLC. =) Seriously, you have a gift!! *Kim*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim! Next time I'm n ATL you'll be the first to know!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...