Saturday, July 21, 2012

The Power of Paint- part 1- a lamp redo!

With the birth of baby #4, I figure it's going to be a little while until my next project is complete. So I'm going back in time and blogging about some of the projects I DID complete while in major nesting mode over the past few months.
Let it be known that I LOVE, with all my heart, painting stuff.
Painting is perhaps the easiest, cheapest way to make the most difference, in the shortest amount of time. Heres a quick example.

Take a look at this gorgeous lamp from Target. Then take a look at the price underneath. Thats not including the $15 shade. A little steep for a lamp that I don't really even need.



But it would go so great in my piano room! Before I made the splurge, I decided to see if I could come up with my own solution. So to the thrift store I went.


I completed this little project before I was blogging, so I didn't take a before shot. But I found this picture that is pretty much the exact same lamp as the one I brought home. I snatched it from Goodwill for only $6!! These lamps are almost the same shape and are made of the same brass. I think these brass lamps can look really cool in some rooms, but it just wasn't the look I was going for, so my next stop was Home Depot for some paint!


I wanted to make it a bright cheery yellow so I decided on this color. No yellow could be brighter than Sun Yellow right?


I'll admit, I was slightly nervous it would be TOO yellow, but worse case scenario, I buy another can for a few bucks and paint it again. I think a can is like $4 right?

*TIP* If I were to do the whole process over again, I would have sprayed it with a primer first. My first 2 coats of yellow hardly even did anything. I thought for sure this project was going to be a bust. It wasn't dripping off, it just wasn't doing anything! But, I decided to just try one more coat. And what do you know, the 3rd coat was looking awesome! 
So I let that dry for about an hour, came back and did the 4th coat. Perfect!!!!! It looked so incredible! 


A happy, curvy, glossy, yellow lamp. 
I did end up getting the drum shade at Target for $15. So, my total for this lamp (base, shade and paint) was only $25! 
Sure beats $65 which is what I would have payed had I sprung for the Target one.

Oh, and that little white frame also got a new coat of paint. It used to be a goldish color as well. I love the details on it, and it holds a picture of my grandparents from way back when, so I had to work it into the room somehow. With a new crisp white finish, it fits perfectly now!
I'll be back soon with a few other examples of the Power of Paint!


Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. so funny story....i totally have that yellow lamp from target in my living room! we had a gift card plus it was slightly scratched (and the last one in the store) so we got it majorly discounted. i love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky!!!! I love when that happens! Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, I wanna see your house!

      Delete
  2. love it! i can't wait until i have more space to do more projects like this -- it turned out so cute! you should do a house tour post, i love your decorating style!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! i've got a few more projects to finish up, then I plan on doing a tour.

      Delete
  3. I didn't know you were so creative! Can't wait to see the tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know I had a creative bone in my body until not that long ago! Who'da thunk it huh?

      Delete
  4. I love these yellow lamps. I see these type lamps at the thriftshop all the time! Maybe I should give one a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for coming over and following! definitely give it a try, so cheap and easy!

      Delete
  5. Ok I have been eyeing those Target lamps FOREVER and I don't know why this never occurred to me. I've even spray painted an old brass lamp white, but I never thought about using the yellow to do the knock off version! Thanks for an awesome idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't it amazing what a fresh coat of paint can do? the possibilities are endless! I do love a crisp white lamp, maybe thats what is in store for these when I'm tired of the yellow!

      Delete
  6. Hi Stacia, love your lamp re-do.......gotta love Target but getting what you want for less is what it's all about :) Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog.....visiting from Design Stash.
    Hugs,
    Brooke

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure do love me some Target! But I might love changing something from Blah to Beautiful even more!

      Delete
  7. This kind of excellent brass lamps redo will let you lower your costs, bring in style, and also fulfill the requirement associated for light. The styles on these lamps gives heart to the desire as well as the area considered.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...