Friday, August 17, 2012

Candy Crayons?

While going through all my school supplies and taking inventory, setting up Our School Room, I noticed that our crayons were in pretty sad condition. My kids are constantly coloring! We go through crayons like CRAZY! In the past I've always just thrown them away once they got down to the "nubbins". But this time, I remembered an activity I did at my friends house when I was a youngster. Her mom did it a little differently, but here's how I put some crayon nubbins to good use.

What you need:
-old, busted crayons
-mini cupcake tin
-mini cupcake liners

First take the wrappers off. (Oops, forgot to take a pic. But you know what "naked" crayons look like right?)
Then line your cupcake tins with the wrappers. I used normal paper liners. I was worried that the papers might stick too much to the crayons, but they really weren't a problem. A few of them did tear when I peeled the wrapper off- I found This Blog who used foil wrappers. Those might work a little better, but the paper ones still worked totally fine.




Then break your crayons into small pieces and place your desired color combos in the tins.
My kids loved this part. We had American colors, jungle colors, at the park colors, girly colors, Antarctica colors, berry colors and sunset colors. That was fun that I wasn't anticipating, they were too cute!


Place them in the oven heated to 200 degrees. Watch them carefully and only let them "cook" until the last piece is melted. It took ours about 15 minutes to melt. I remember burning a few as a kid, and that is one STRONG smell.


Take them out VERY carefully. Melted crayons make a VERY thin liquid, almost water-like. You don't want it splashing out and you ending up with crayon burns!


Let them cool completely, peel off the wrapper and Voila!


What is the shape reminiscent of? Reese's Cups! My kids, husband and brother all thought these looked delicious and wanted to take a bite! I personally didn't have the urge, but I can understand how being the shape of a mouth-watering treat, and being made up of bright colors, can confuse you into thinking they would taste good. So we call them "Candy Crayons".


If you're thinking we are off our rockers, you can just call them Crayon Discs. Whatever you decide to call them, they sure are fun to color with. The whole family loves coloring with them, even the grown ups.

Do you have any old and broken crayon "nubbins" (I know you do!)? Give it a whirl!



Linking up to these wicked awesome parties-


SixSistersStuff.comPhotobucketPositively Splendid

House of Hepworths
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. Your kids are adorable waiting for the crayons to cook. Too cute. I am your newest follower. Thanks so much for stopping by Posed Perfection earlier in the week and leaving me a sweet comment. I hope you'll visit again and maybe even click on the "Follow Me" button to add Posed Perfection to your GFC. Have a lovely weekend!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those 15 minutes waiting for them to be done must have been the longest of their lives! They were so anxious to get them out! Thanks for coming by and commenting, I'll be back to "Posed Perfection" soon!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I have thought of buying one of the silicone ice cube trays from the Target dollar spot to make some smaller crayons. I just haven't been sure that they could go in the oven though. I like the idea that you can use your regular pan and just line them. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wonder about those silicone trays- if it would work, you could get all those cute shaped trays and have a blast making different shaped crayons! How fun! I'm gonna research that a little more. If you find out first, let me know!

      Delete
  3. This is such a fantastic idea! I definitely plan on trying this with my classroom crayon rejects haha Thanks for sharing!
    -Kirsten
    Pure Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What grade do you teach? I love keeping up on teaching blogs, and love getting any tips or ideas! Hope you give this a try, its so fun!

      Delete
  4. These are awesome and they last forever! My sister made some heart sharped ones for Valentines day one year (like 3 years ago) and my kids still have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hearts are brilliant! Oooohh, clovers for St. Patty's, trees for Christmas, or favors for bday parties....oh the possibilities!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...