Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Clothespin Photo display

I'm a huge fan of displaying photos around the house. I always have been. (In my room as a teen, I had one whole wall plastered with them. Back then they were just stuck up by scotch tape. I like to think I have a little more visually pleasing approach these days.) As the babies came I enjoyed more than ever having cute pics of our little fam around. I just like to look at them and thought they were pretty. But then I read this blog post by
Kristen Duke Photography last year, and it changed my perspective a little bit. She talks about how important it is for a child's self-esteem to have pictures of them around the house. It shows that they are valued and loved. It's also important to have pictures of parents lovin' on their babies. Capturing and displaying those actions that speak louder than words. 
So with a new purpose, I set out to find new ways to display pics of our family. 
Here is one idea I came up with.




This was super cheap and easy. I used some left over plywood from another project and just kept them the size they already were. (I made 2 to go in my upstairs hallway)

One measured 40 inches by 7 inches, the other was 47 inches by 7 inches.

Then they got a coat of white spray paint.

They looked a little too plain, so I thought I'd sand them to make them look distressed. But because the plywood under the paint was so light, you couldn't really see the distressing with it painted white.
So on to the next plan. I used some brown craft paint and a paper towel and I just kinda wiped it on there to my liking. No rhyme or reason to it.

Instead of hanging with a sawtooth hanger, I just nailed it right into the wall, a nail in each of the 2 top corners. I didn't nail them all the way in, I left the nail sticking out just a smidge. Then I tied a long piece of twine around each of the nails to make a "clothesline"   or in our case, a picture line. As shown in the pic below.


Then comes the really fun part! Hang up your favorite photos with clothespins!


My short one holds 6 pics, and the longer one holds 7. 
What I love so much about this project is that I can switch out these pictures so easily, so they are always changing. 


I let the kids help me pick out pics, which makes the display even more meaningful for them I think.
So thats one way I put our families pictures on display, I have another fun one that I just finished last night, so stay tuned!! Oh, and another element to my upstairs hallway. Lots coming up!

Pin It Now!

13 comments:

  1. this is such a good, cute, easy idea! i love it! and i know we have extra wood and paint lying around. i'll add this to the list for this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice Mara! If you end up doing it, show it to me! I always have a big pile of wood sitting in the garage so when inspiration strikes, I'm ready! No need to go to the store.

      Delete
  2. Love! Who doesn't had extra wood lying around?! ;) Would LOVe to have you share this at my party! Newest GFC follower and pinterest stalker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the invite Katie, I'm on my way to link up now! Happy to have you as a member of F&S!

      Delete
  3. http://www.pincushioncreations.com/2012/08/homemade-by-you-27.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. yep, totally want to do this! so cute and easy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! ANd you're a huge picture lover, I know you'll put it to use!

      Delete
  5. I never really thought about how important it is to kids to see photos of themselves. But now that I think about it, my kids LOVE seeing pictures of themselves and looking through their baby photos. I need to make it more of a priority to print more photos and display them. Thanks for that encouragement! I love your photo displays too - cute and easy to change out the pics!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenna, isn't it fun to look at baby pics with your kids? We love it!

      Delete
  6. So great. I love this. Simple but a big impact for sure. Great job.

    www.itsybitsypaperblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lindy, glad you liked it. And thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  7. Love this! Super simple and a great way to switch out pictures easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cassidy, it really is such a fast and easy project. THe kids love helping me switch them out.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...