Saturday, August 11, 2012

Our School Room

Its school time! 
My oldest is going to start Kindergarten and we've decided to homeschool. It may or may not be permanent, we'll see how things go. If any of you reading have any tips for homeschooling Kindergarteners, please let me know!
We haven't officially started yet, but I am finally finished with the room and am so excited!
Because this is his first year in "every day" school, and to make sure that he understands that even though we are at home, it is indeed real school, I've been working hard to put together a nice schoolroom. I wanted it to be neat and organized, functional, fun- and I wanted it to look good! Here's what's going on in the room-
As you walk through the door and turn right, this is what you see. 




I bought the file cabinet second hand, and painted it navy blue. It was originally a faux wood laminate. In good condition, but surprise surprise! I wanted it to match. (a post is in the works on how to paint laminate.) It holds all of the lesson plans and lots of school supplies.
The adorable ABC and 123 prints were bought on sale from THIS ETSY SHOP
And the wooden frames are from Michaels, also bought on sale. Buy 1 get 1 free!

Keep going around the room, and you'll get to our calendar spot. Theres another post soon to come on our morning calendar time routine.

Most of what is hanging are clearance finds from Michaels. I went there not knowing how I was going to do the calendar area- those clearance prices were all the inspiration I needed!


Turn to your left and you'll see our work table. The table was a Craigslist find that I got for a steal, and re-stained the top a darker color.


The green clock was $6, the red bin $1, the fold up green chairs $5 each, all at Target. And I made the pennant banner using my Silhouette and paper from Michaels. I just punched holes and strung them all on some twine. (I had the kids help me with this, gotta work those fine motor skills!)


Don't you love fresh school supplies?


Here is our reading corner, that wouldn't be complete without our LoveSac! And would you believe me if I told you I found the bookshelves brand new in the box, for $5 at Goodwill? Well believe it baby!


I made this art display for the kids using some scrap wood that I had left over from another project. Just spray paint, and superglue some painted clothespins on, and Voila! A spot that the kids love showing off their masterpieces.


Next to the reading corner-


I found this vinyl tree and owl set (gotta incorporate owls of course! find out why in my "About Me" page here) on Etsy forever ago. I don't know why, but I can't find the seller in my transaction history! But theres lots of adorable, customizable vinyl options on Etsy.
Our couch we got in Germany from a friend and is the most comfortable couch in the universe! Perfect for when the whole family is reading together. As a bonus, since the school room also has our toys, this also serves as a great place for moms to lounge and chat during play dates. We can be comfortable but also keep an eye on the littler ones.


These shelves are from Ikea, we picked them up from a yard sale when we lived in Germany. Prepare to be jealous- we got the whole unit for $30! I think a new one goes for $200? You know I did a goofy, giddy, good deal dance when I found this! All the fabric storage boxes, including the ones on the floor, are from Target.
They hold everything from baby toys, to play-doh, barbies, legos and even school supplies. I love how much storage I have with this unit! I also love having all the toys hidden in pretty boxes. Not only does it look nicer, but not being able to see all the toys makes it easier to stay focused when it's time to learn.


The maps we got from Amazon. They are Rand McNally classic edition and are $15 a pop. Every school room needs maps right?


Well, thats the tour, I'm so happy with the final outcome! And even happier that I didn't have to spend a fortune to get a set up that both the kids and I are happy with. What do you think? Again, if anyone has tips for homeschooling a 5 year old, let me know!


Positively SplendidPhotobucketPoofy Cheeks
Not Back to School Blog Hop”Tip
Made in a Day
HookingupwithHoHSixSistersStuff.comToday's Creative BlogIHeart Organizing
Pin It Now!

37 comments:

  1. We seriously considered homeschooling our 5 year old but after much thought and prayer that wasn't the right answer for us. Your room looks amazing! I am sure teacher Mom will do a wonderful job, I have no doubt about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liza!-I sure hope so! And it can be a tough choice- whether or not to homeschool. Both options having benefits. I hope you and your cute fam are doing good! I didn't realize that we had sons so close in age!

      Delete
  2. What lucky children to be growing up in your happy, thriving home! I especially love what cannot be contained in a picture - and that is your consistent attentiveness and nurturing of children which I've seen first hand. Enjoy your banner year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaawww, thanks, You're too sweet! I'm excited for what is in store!

      Delete
  3. super cute! I love the great deals, cheerful colors and organization you have going here-oh, and of course great upcycles. I am wanting to homeschool my oldest son next fall and you have some great ideas here-still not sure where our homeschool room will be-but thanks for inspiring-and for your sweet comments on my boys room redo! I'm following you back too :0 "see" ya around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and joining! I'm so happy to hear that you were inspired, I'm flattered! Hopefully e next year I'll have some homeschool tips to give you. Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. I love everything about this room! So cute and organized :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. why thank you! here's hoping it stays this way!

      Delete
  5. He beautiful! This is so precious! I love the bunting! You did great work! So thrilled to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the bunting might be my fave too. Its a close call though! Thanks for taking the time to come over and join, I'm so glad we could connect!

      Delete
  6. Can't believe that little guy is starting school! Makes me kinda teary eyed. So excited to see his school projects displayed and to be educated on which animal is truly the fastest animal on the planet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, me too! He's getting so big! That little whipper snapper already knows so much about animals and is constantly teaching US animal factoids!

      Delete
  7. When my daughter was two weeks old I started doing flashchards with her by the time she was speaking she knew sounds and how to identify certain letters and so forth so I continued.. today she is 5 and I decided to continue to home school her, but because she is so use to a more laid back environment for learning I add to come up with something that made it very official for her.. which was hard because she is in between kindergarten and 1st grade level, but what I did find was homeschoolsupercenter.com they have some really great packages, I purchased the kindergarten spectrum package jsut to make sure I am hitting on all the points that she is suppose to know, ad it also comes with a year schedule.. which I don;t know about anyone else.. was my biggest thing when I was trying to work with hr before..I honestly aside from reading, addition and subtraction.. I had know clue when and how to introduce new things to her..so it really great to have everything all in one with a set schedule.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip! I'll go and check it out!

      Delete
  8. That looks like a great learning environment-you did a wonderful job with the room. I hope you both have a wonderful school year!

    If you have a minute to spare I'd love it if you could pop by and visit me at my blog and perhaps you could even link up your post to my weekly Say G'day Linky party!

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and for the warm wishes! i'm on my way over to your blog and linking up right now!

      Delete
  9. stacia. wow. it's like you're a completely different person. haha!!! i guess i haven't spent enough time with you since you've been on mommy duty for the last 5 years, but this is not the stacia i remember ;) i love this room, it looks AWESOME. you'll do great. my sister Kellie did homeschool for her 6 and 8 year old...she might have some helps for you. love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? Its amazing what a difference a little perspective can make. And thanks! we're excited about having a nice space to learn. So, whats Kellie's email, so I can get some tips?

      Delete
    2. Kellie's email: wingingscapula@gmail.com

      Delete
    3. Thanks May! I'll "shout her a holler" haha! Remember when we used to say that?! Those were the days!

      Delete
    4. i told her you might be emailing her, so she's expecting it :) and yes. we were awesome. and said awesome things. i miss you stach!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Such a well-organized and fun space! Love the pops of color :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer! i'm all about color. My house has a TON of it! (probably too much for a lot of peoples taste!) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Lovely room, and I LOVE the owls!!

    http://samsnoggin.com/2012/08/the-schoolroom.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! i'm all about the owls! There's something about them that just makes you feel wise right? Perfect for a school room!

      Delete
  12. Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet words! We're really enjoying it!

      Delete
  13. I LOVE your room!! It looks fantastic. Colors are awesome... and I sooo *heart* owls. :) I hope your first year is fantastic! *Kim*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aren't owls the cutest? Thanks for the kind words and for coming over to say hi!

      Delete
  14. Your schoolroom is so cute and bright! I love it! I also made pennant banners to hang in our school space this year. I did Olympic's colors to tie into the Summer Olympics and we did a unit study about it. It was neat. Now that it's over, I plan to leave them up because they look pretty. Do I really need any other reason? Our school space also serves as our playroom and it's nice to see someone else who has a room serving multiple purposes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because it's pretty is always a good reason! Just ask my husband, he hears that all the time! Good for you for doing a Olympics study, I bet that was a blast! Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  15. What a fun and organized space! Don't you just love the ikea Expedit! I have them all over! Would love for you to come visit my Get Social Sunday link party and show off your awesome blog!
    http://alivedinhome.blogspot.com/2012/08/get-social-sunday_18.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I sure do love it! I SO wish there was an IKEA closer to me! They have awesome storage solutions. You know what? You just reminded me that I haven't checked their website for some storage baskets I need for one of my closets. Off to IKEA.com. Thanks! And thanks for stopping by today!

      Delete
  16. Your school room is adorable. So many fun adventures await you and your little guy. I've been homeschooling my two since the beginning and they are now in 5th and 3rd grade. If I could give you any advice, it would be to read, read, and read more good literature to your child. Don't rush having him read on his own. He will be a better reader, writer and communicator if you put in the extra reading time. Give yourself and him grace to grow. You are going to love it. Have fun. Have a great week!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Nici! I have been thinking a lot about the ratio of reading to him, and having him read to me. This helps, thanks!

      Delete
  17. This is such a fun room! I love how colorful it is and the bean bag chair next to the bookcase looks so inviting. :) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I returned the follow and can't wait to see more of your projects. Good luck with homeschooling!

    - Megan from polishthestars.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The beanbag really is the perfect spot to curl up with a book! The only problem is the whole fam can't squish on it anymore! Thanks so much for stopping by and joining Megan!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...