Monday, August 6, 2012

Spread some love with homemade butter!


The kids and I were having a little discussion about what it would have been like to live in the 1800's. No cars or airplanes, no warm showers, no dishwashers (the horror!), and no pre-made butter! I remembered as a kid we made some butter at a church activity and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. So I did a quick search on Pinterest and found this tutorial from 2 Little Hooligans. She gives great easy to follow instructions. We altered things just slightly.


My grocery store didn't have heavy cream, they only had heavy WHIPPING cream. I was worried it wouldn't work out, but it worked perfectly!
Instead of using one big jar, I wanted each kid to have their own, as to eliminate any fighting over whose turn it was to shake the jar. It also speeds up the process quite a bit if you use smaller jars. So I cleaned out a few baby food jars, and filled each of them about 3/4 full. 



Then the shaking began! Even the toddler got it on the action, she loved it! 


All 3 started off strong, but after about 8 minutes, their little arms got tired. 
So we switched to playing a game. We sat on the kitchen floor and rolled it back and forth for the remaining time. This did the trick. No complaining, just occasional checking to see how it was coming.
 It first turns to whipped cream, then super thick cream, then it starts to separate. 


You pour off the liquid which is buttermilk. Save that for another yummy recipe, like some buttermilk syrup! (find the recipe at the end)



 Shake for a few more minutes, and you have a nice ball of butter!
Total shaking/rolling time was about 25 minutes with the kids. Keep in mind if your kids are older and therefore more vigorous shakers, it would probably be significantly shorter if you still used small jars. They didn't complain once and were totally intrigued by the whole process. We watched a few clips on youtube on churning butter, and the kids and I agreed, rolling the jar back and forth was a heck of a lot more fun. 


This lady looks less than thrilled with the task at hand. But I promise ya, making butter with your kids is super fun our way! My oldest actually said, "This is awesome! I always want to make our own butter!" I don't know about that, but perhaps every once in a while. 

Since we were in the mood to be in the kitchen, we also made some of this delicious healthy banana bread I found over at the 8 Weeks to a Better You Recipes blog, to have something to spread our delicious butter on. Click on the link for the simple recipe. Heres the pic from that blog. It does look seriously tasty right?


Its got whole wheat flour, no sugar, and no oil. If that doesn't sound quite so tasty anymore, I promise you, it's delish. I'll admit it's not quite as delicious as the banana bread recipe I normally use with tons of sugar and oil, but it's super healthy and really does taste great. My husband made a PB&J sandwich with it, and says he never want to go back to normal sandwich bread again! Thats been his lunch 3 days in a row! Its a pretty dense, very "sliceable" loaf.
We doubled the recipe to make 2 loaves. Then we enjoyed the fruits of our labor, and filled up on bread and butter- which actually turned into our dinner. Not quite a balanced meal, but it was just too good to stop! 

Buttermilk Syrup
Using a deep saucepan, combine the following ingredients-
      1/2 cup buttermilk
      1/2 cup butter
      1/2 cup sugar
      1 tsp. light corn syrup

- bring to a boil and take off heat
- add 1tsp. baking soda
- add 1 tsp. vanilla
- stir thoroughly

syrup will get kinda frothy and rise a little. This recipe makes about 2 cups of syrup, which is more than enough for our family of 5 (5 who eat real food anyway) to put on our fill of waffles or pancakes. 
So delicious!

Tip Junkie handmade projects
HookingupwithHoHOneCreativeMommy.comPhotobucketSixSistersStuff.comPositively Splendid
Pin It Now!

21 comments:

  1. I had no idea you could make butter this way. What a great lesson for your kids! Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'm following you via GFC now. I love your blog header! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for stopping by and following! I'm flattered. and the header is cute isn't it? thanks and credit go to meg from vintage printage!

      Delete
  2. Love this idea...I think my kids would get a kick out of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they totally would love it! give it a whirl! thanks so much for taking the time to come over and follow!

      Delete
  3. Your blog post brought back a flood of memories, when I made butter at home with my Mom. It was tons of fun, and just wonderful to hang out as a family. Wonderful post, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for taking the time to come over and follow/comment! I'm so glad you had a great experience with butter-making too, it really is a blast!

      Delete
  4. I love homemade butter!! Especially on my banana bread! Thanks for the recipe! I am loving your blog and you are so gorgeous! :)

    Would love for you to visit my blog and join as well! Have a great day with those cute kiddos!

    riversrecipereview.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet, thanks so much! I'm on my way over to your blog right now, thanks for taking the time to stop by and join!

      Delete
  5. I can't wait to try making my own buttermilk syrup from scratch! Thanks for the recipe! Wish I could've seen the faces of those cutie pies when the butter was all finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, it was priceless! They were in awe! We'll do this next time we get together, and you can see for yourself!

      Delete
  6. I remember making butter like this when I was a Girl Scout in Germany, many years ago! I used to hate butter, until I tasted my own creation. Great pics of the kids participating. It looked like it was tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hard to imagine hating butter- glad you wised up! The kids did have a blast. We're already wanting to do it again!

      Delete
  7. I remember making butter this way on a field trip when I was little. I had forgotten all about it. This is a must try for me and the kiddo. It would be so easy for her to do. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She would love it! So easy and delicious! You're welcome, let me know how it turns out!

      Delete
  8. I did this project with my student when I was a teacher. I don't know why I never thought to do it with my own kids! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back next week. (I just started following you with Google Connect.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over and joining. I will definitely be back to party this weekend, it's so fun! And if you try it with your kids, let me know how they like it!

      Delete
  9. Just found your blog from Craft-O-Maniac and I absolutely love it!! So stinking cute. And I would love to make my own butter. Can't wait to try this recipe! New follower. :) Yay for being blog friends! Feel free to stop by and say hi! :) http://highheelsandgrills.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on my way to your blog right now, but I can already say, love the name! oh, and you'll love the butter, super delish!

      Delete
  10. I so want to give this a try! Thanks so much! You should link this up to my Feature Friday Linky Party:>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, your kids will love it!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...