Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Cheap way to display photos

I just spent an amazing long weekend with a bunch of family. My mom, aunt and grandparents spent a few days with us unexpectedly, so I've just been visiting and haven't been on the computer since Friday! But now I'm back and wanted to share with you all another project I just finished, that my fam went crazy for. (maybe grandparents just love anything that has to do with the babies?) Remember how I was saying how I try to have a lot of my kids pics on display? Well, here's another way I found to do just that.



I was again inspired by the amazing Kristen Duke. I did mine a little differently from hers, but her blog is where I got the initial idea. She didn't have a border showing, and she also used Mod Podge over the whole thing. Here is how I did mine-

I had Home Depot cut a big board of MDF down to 16 inch squares. (I needed 4 obviously) I don't remember the exact amount, but I know for sure the whole board was under $10.


I then spray painted them using Rustoleum Painter's Touch in Lagoon. 
(LOVE that color!) I didn't worry about the middle since the pic would cover it. 


Then I used double sided tape to stick it on there. My pictures are 12 inch squares so I have a thick border all the way around. I got my photos from a professional printing house my aunt uses, but I think Costco prints squares? I got all 4 prints for $16. Thats a project total of under $26!!! If you buy 4 frames of that size, we are talking much more moolah.
And a few Command Strips later, I've got some big, bold, photos of my kids going up the stairs!


I chose not to Mod Podge them because I'm cheap and wanted to be able to switch them out when they get outdated. Either way looks great to me. Hope you like them as much as the grandparents did! Oh, and the kids love them too. My almost 2 year old always says, "Look at me! I'm so adorable!" I of course always agree.

Pin It Now!

27 comments:

  1. These are beautiful! I love how you can change them out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks great! I love that color spray paint.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great color? I have to stop myself from using it on everything!

      Delete
  3. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE IT!!! The color is fabulous and your children are beautiful. Great idea not to mod modge...I would want to change out the photos too.

    newest reader!

    http://fifiybr.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over and following Fifi! I sure am a big fan of those cute faces!

      Delete
  4. Oh they're cute, and for $10 WOW

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for stopping by Mel. And seriously, $10 bucks aint bad for some big chunky "frames".

      Delete
  5. so cute and easy and inexpensive! definitely my kind of craft! :D and your kiddos are adorable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are right up my alley too, because of the reasons you already said!

      Delete
  6. This is such an incredibly cute, easy, and inexpensive way to display photos. Your children are beautiful. I love the whole idea...I may have to give this a try!
    Rhiannon at Being Mom{me}

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do try it, SUPER simple and fast. Thanks so much for coming over and joining! I'm on my way to check out your blog now!

      Delete
  7. I love these! I also like that you can switch out the pictures easily. I'm totally jealous that your command strips stick! Whatever our walls are painted with is like teflon for command hooks. Ugh.
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What? I have never heard of such a thing. I'm so sad for you, those things are amazing!

      Delete
  8. Nice! A great look for a great price. I love it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, can't beat that price! Unless it was $9. Or $8. But its not too bad!

      Delete
  9. Looks great! I love the color spray paint as well. I have some wood at home I was trying to figure out how to frame, and this solves my question! Just put the sign/picture I want on the inside and use the wood as the actual frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mandy! I am OBSESSED with this color. Good luck with your project, hope I was able to help!

      Delete
  10. Cute! This was the most view link at the Whatever Goes Wednesday party at Somedaycrafts.blogspot.com last week. I am featuring it today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What the? I'm so flattered! Thanks for the feature!

      Delete
  11. This is so great! I need all the ideas I can get. My walls are bare! LOL! I would love if you would share this at my Crazy Cute Party happening right now! I've got a totally awesome giveaway that you could win just for linking up! Come on over! ;D

    Between U & Me

    Oh! And I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for joining Courtney, I'm on my way over to check our your blog!

      Delete
  12. I have become a brand new fan of spray painting! thanks for giving me the courage to try: 3 frames, one night stand, a wicker basket, and a lamp stand. You continue to impress me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHOA! Productive! I can't wait for you to show me pics! Glad you finally gave it a go!

      Delete
  13. LOVE this!!! The turquoise border is lovely, and such cute kiddos!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...