Wednesday, September 12, 2012

DIY Ruler Growth Chart- How do you measure up?

I've got a couple things for show and tell today. First I'll show you how I made this-


Then you'll be able to see the rest of my upstairs hallway.
Speaking of show and tell, my son has his first loose tooth. A kid in my Kindergarten class once showed the class his loose tooth and I was SO jealous.


Moving on- One of my friends houses growing up has a doorway marking the members of the family, and lots of friends, growth through the years. I loved the concept and made a mental note to do that in my own house one day. But because we move around a lot, (Every 2 or 3 years) a doorway to measure just wasn't an option, since we can't take doorways with us. A few years ago, before I ever got around to it, my mom made us a jungle animal growth chart. The kids LOVED it! My youngest daughter loved it a little too much. She was always pulling the animals and the numbers on their tummies off (the ones she could reach) to play with them. So I would glue them back on. Over and over and over. And eventually the zebra broke, and we lost the numbers 1 and 2.  Instead of trying to find the same zebra, and the same numbers to match the rest, I just opted to make a new one. 
The big long board was in our garage when we bought the house- it measures 74.5 inches by 7 inches. And I always have a bunch of vinyl for occasions just like these. All I had to do was buy the stain.

I went with Golden Pecan stain by Minwax. I thought it was the closest to the classic ruler color. I'm Old School. (get it, school?)
After I let the stain dry, I took out the measuring tape and with a Sharpie, made a line on each inch. Making the line at each foot, a longer line.


Next, it was time to apply the vinyl. I cut numbers 1-6,  which measure about 3.5 inches by 2 inches, using my Silhouette. (if we ever have a kid taller than 6 and a half feet, we're outta luck!) Then applied the vinyl at each foot measurement. Almost done!

Now I just had to transfer all the measurements from the previous growth chart to this one. (can you spot where the zebra is broken?)


Super easy, just lined up the animals middle (where all the numbers once were) with the long line at each foot line, and made a mark on the new board, at the same measurement it was on the old board.
DONE! 


I hung it using Command Strips. I put one at the top, and also one at the bottom to keep the kids from being able to swing it as they walk past, whacking the sibling behind them. Yes, I'm speaking from experience.

And here it is with the rest of the hallway gallery wall. 


To see how I made the Clothespin Photo Display click on the text.
The GROW sign is on old board that I sprayed with chalkboard paint, and "grow" was the first word I thought of, so I went with it. But when I undoubtedly get sick of that word in a few weeks, I can change it out. 
The "L" is from Hobby lobby that I painted with the same Lagoon spray paint as my MDF Photo Displays. An unused frame got a coat of the same stuff, and I hung it framing the "L" to make it more interesting. The thrifted square mirror also got a quick coat.
The long frame holds a baby snapshot of each of my 4 kids, and the middle spot holds a picture of all 4 together. OK, you caught me. It currently holds a pic of the 3 oldest when #3 was born. But very soon it will hold a pic of all 4 together. Dang- Forgot to update that before this post!


The sign with the 6 "Be's" was given to us by my sister-in-law. I was in attendance at the Conference Center when President Hinckley gave this talk to the youth, so it makes this piece uber-special. If you're interested, click here to read the whole talk. I just re-read it and it is incredible! 


The above picture is a glimpse into what happens at least once a week around here. Do you remember being obsessed with your height as a child? I sure do. And back then, I used to enjoy seeing the needle on the scale go up too. Boy, are those days LONG GONE!

So, there you have a cute, easy, cheap, portable way to keep track of the growth of your children. 
Happy Wednesday!

Want to make your own Ruler Growth Chart, but are lacking the vinyl to do so? Click HERE check out my shop, I'll help you out!

linking to these awesome parties-
Someday Crafts
House of Hepworths
6 Sisters Stuff
Tatertots and Jello
One Creative Mommy
Classy Clutter
Todays Creative Blog
Pin It Now!

14 comments:

  1. Sta-- I love the blog! It's so fun! I wish u were closer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey cuz! I know, I miss everyone out there so bad! I just went over to see your newly designed blog, looks amazing! Can't wait to stay up on it. Love ya!

      Delete
  2. What a great keepsake for the future. Your daughter has gorgeous eyes! Thanks for sharing this week at One Creative Weekend! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Heidi! I love linking up to your party, I always leave very inspired. And thank you, they are pretty aren't they?

      Delete
  3. I absolutely love this because I can transfer our markings from the wall to a ruler like this if we decide to paint or move. I love that picture of your daughter and son. That is the greatest because it captured them in perfect kid behavior with the growth chart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally easy to transfer. Took like 5 minutes! Thanks for stopping by! I was just looking at your blog, love it!

      Delete
  4. I am not so bright. Thanks for pointing out that it looks EXACTLY like a ruler. DUH! Love the expression on both their faces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! you're funny. and her face totally captures HER doesn't it?

      Delete
  5. Love it!! Thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting on my growth chart! We are so much alike!
    Barbara at Chase the Star :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Barb. It's so fun to find other bloggers that share your same interests!

      Delete
  6. I am loving this growth chart. So cute. Just found your blog and we are following! We would love if you would check out our blog.

    http://mybest-friendsblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for stopping over and checking out Miss Bloom and for the nice comment, i love your growth chart its a great idea! we just started doing this and made a few marks on molding around the door but i like this idea so much better,
    lauren

    ReplyDelete

  8. Hi there! Stumbled across your blog and love it, especially love how your DIY growth chart turned out! Beautiful stain technique!
    A few months back I asked my husband to help me make one for our boys and we had fun preparing the board, but got stuck on creating a neat, professional way to put on numbers and tick marks. We tried numerous methods, and weren't happy with any of them, so decided to use a DIY vinyl decal like you did and were finally happy with it!
    Since then, knowing how popular this project is, we actually opened a shop on Etsy to sell the decals for other DIY-ers who wanted to make a board but didn't have the equipment to make a decal for theirs. If you'd like to take a look, or recommend the shop to others in your post as an option who might be frustrated by the same step, it's: www.etsy.com/shop/LittleAcornsByRo
    Maybe it will be a help to others out there!
    Thanks and best wishes!
    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it, going to try to do this very soon. I have been looking for ways to make my own growth chart and this by far is the best.

    One issue though, wouldn’t the measuring be off about 2 inches because of the baseboard? How did you go about this? Dock off the 2 or whatever inches off the growth chart?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...