Friday, September 14, 2012

Figure Friendly Friday #4- Healthy kids and my Bringing Sexy Back Update!

It's been a whole month since I embarked on my "Bringing Sexy Back" journey. If you are interested, you can go back and read that initial post here. I know you're all chomping at the bit to see my newest pics (did you catch the sarcasm?) but before I get to my update about that whole progress, I wanted to talk for a quick minute about how we help our kids stay physically fit as well.

As we started to prepare for the homeschool journey, and were trying to work out the schedule we would follow each day, my husband and I both agreed that we needed to work exercise into the routine EVERYDAY.  Or as we call it, "P.T." If you're a military family, you probably know what that means- but for you civilians (aka non-military) out there, it stands for Physical Training.
My husband and I both grew up in active families and remember fondly going to the rec center as a family, or going for a long bike ride together. We want to carry on that same tradition with our own little family. And with childhood obesity on the rise, (I just looked and its over 17% nationwide!!) I think it's more important than ever to teach our kids how important it is to take care of our bodies and to be physically active. Not to mention how much fun it can be! I always get a chorus of "YES!"es when I announce it is time for P.T.  

3 days a week, we use a flip book that my husband drew for us.
It has different sports,



as well as simple exercises that the kids can do. Plank is one of their favorites.


For a minimum of 30 minutes we go through the flip chart and do whatever is pictured. On the days we get to a sport, that ends up being our only activity for the day. 
And seeing as they are military kids, they are pushup experts! Especially the oldest who is 5; anytime we Skype someone he wants to show off how many he can do. And yep, he's got proper form! 

So thats what we do 3 times a week, on the other 3 days, (we take Sunday off) they often do a video with me. We push all the furniture to the walls, and we all follow along as Tony Horton instructs.  My son overheard Tony saying in the 
Plyo X DVD,


 that that was the workout to do if you want to be a better athlete. So naturally he wanted to do it. That kid is diligent and has made it through the entire hour long video a handful of times. I tell him he can stop at 30 minutes, but he keeps going, all the while checking to see if his muscles are bigger yet. :)

After a workout don't you feel empowered? Like you're on top of the world, and can handle anything that comes your way? Kids are no exception! They feel like that too. Exercising regularly will no doubt boost their confidence, and we all want our kids to be confident! If you don't have kids, maybe you have nieces or nephews that you could play soccer with. Maybe your friends kids would enjoy a bike ride with you. (Bonus- your friend would love you forever for giving her a few minutes to herself!)

It is so important for kids to see that you take care of your body too, and that being active is something you do daily. (or at least try to) The example you set will stick with those impressionable little people forever. Actions speak louder than words, so make sure they SEE you working out too. Or SEE you lacing up those running shoes to head out for a run. 

Raising healthy kids is something I'm passionate about, so this isn't the first time you'll hear about the subject. It's never too early, or too late to get healthy. So start getting you and your family healthy today! 

And now, the moment you've all been waiting for, (theres that sarcasm again!) drumroll please.....
my "During" pic. I decided not to call it an "after" because I'm not finished yet. 



Here is the "before" for comparisons sake.


Not a huge difference. But it's progress, my shorts are looser! 
But guess what? I didn't reach my goal for this month. I'm still happy with the results of one months hard work, but I didn't quite make the cut. 
I did lose 10 pounds, 2 inches off my waist, 1 inch off each thigh, and 1.5 inches around my hips. 
And I can run 3 miles without wanting to barf now.
So I'm feeling proud of myself, but dang it, I've still got to watch the Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Oh, Heaven help me!! I'm already grossed out thinking about Gollum, that nasty creature! And guess what else? My sister didn't quite get to her goal either. So, she has to get bangs!! I can't wait to see how she looks!  
Ok, the marathon post is over. Thanks for reading!



linking up to these parties-
Tatertots and Jello
6 Sisters Stuff
Classy Clutter
Todays Creative Blog
Someday Crafts
House of Hepworths
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. you're such a hottie! good work team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this entire entry! and you look fantastic, noticable in your hips, thighs, and waist. Well done! Now do you want caramel popcorn or butter popcorn to go with your movie marathon? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks mommy! I'll take some celery sticks. Still got a long way to go! Boy do I miss your ooey gooey caramel corn!

      Delete
  3. hot mamma! you're looking great!

    and i know i don't have kids yet, but i'm right there with you in the whole healthy kids thing. i really want to make sure my kids grow up healthy and active!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Moe! I still wish we lived close by eat other so we could do more aerobics classes together! I miss it!

      Delete
  4. You look great! Seriously we are two great minds that think alike...take a look at this post I wrote about a month ago too!! http://www.chasethestar.net/2012/08/losing-it-baby.html I have yet to post an update though HAHA Have a great week Stacia! Following you now :)
    Barbara at Chase the Star

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for joining Barbara! I can't wait to go over and check out my "kindred spirits" blog!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...