Friday, September 21, 2012

Figure Friendly Friday #5 - Healthy Chocolate Chip Cookies


Bringing Sexy Back is tough. For me it means no Breyers Chocolate Oreo ice cream (oh my goodness, so delicious.) while I watch a show at night with my husband. None of my kids goldfish while we are out running errands. Swapping my sammie loaded with PB&J for a spinach wrap at lunch time. It also means no chocolate chip cookies. Or should I say, it USED to mean no chocolate chip cookies. I've been watching what I eat for over a month now, and I was having a major hankerin' for some baked goods. But I know that cookies and cakes are loaded with sugar, butter and white flour. NOT compatible with my goals. So what's a girl to do? Get creative!
My husband and I concocted a recipe that is a much healthier alternative to our normal cookie recipe.



What you need-
-1 cup unsweetened applesauce
-1/2 cup white sugar
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-2 eggs
-1 tsp. vanilla
-2 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
-1 tsp. baking soda
-1/2 tsp salt
-3 cups oats
-3/4 of a bag of Dark Chocolate Chips

What you do-
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine the applesauce, both sugars, eggs and vanilla in your mixer.
3. Add the whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt. Mix.
4. In a blender, blend your oats to make an oat flour. You'll start out with 3 cups, but after blended it will be closer to 2 cups.

5. Mix in oat flour.
6. Mix in dark chocolate chips.
7. Very lightly spray cookie sheet with non-stick spray, and drop cookie dough by spoonfuls onto cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10-12 minutes. 
9. Scarf these bad boys and don't feel guilty about doing so!

Now keep in mind, these won't be quite as scrumptious as original recipe cookies. We omitted the butter altogether, cut the sugar and salt in half, and used whole wheat and oat flour instead of the white stuff. I'll be the first to admit, when it comes down to which tastes better, our normal recipe wins. But man oh man, will your body thank you for choosing these instead! Oh, and lets not forget that dark chocolate has antioxidants! 
Feeling like you can't go another second without some baked goods, but worried about derailing your healthy eating? Give these a whirl. 


Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! Thanks for stopping by my blog and for the follow. I am following you ;)
    xoxo
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for this healthy version. i have been substituting pumpkin or applesauce for oil and yogurt or avocado for butter with my sweet recipes...most of the time, not every time, the flavor is yummy..and I know healthy and lower in calories....
    i am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never done yogurt before-great idea, thanks! I'm gonna have to give that a try!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...