Friday, September 28, 2012

Figure Friendly Friday #6- Crispy Coconut Chicken with Mango Salsa


Happy Friday everyone! Guess what? I was a guest poster over at High Heels and Grills yesterday! It was my first one, and it was a blast! You've all been over to that blog before right? If not, go over there immediately, they've got AWESOME recipes. (now including one from me!)  Sarah was my very first bloggy friend. Never met her in real life, but already love her. In case you missed it, HERE is the link to my guest post. But because this is a healthy and incredibly delicious recipe, I had to share it with all of you for Figure Friendly Friday too!

Hi, I'm Stacia, and I am a coconut addict. 
I seriously eat shredded coconut straight from the bag, with a spoon. So naturally, anything with "Coconut" in the title, catches my immediate and undivided attention. I saw this recipe on The Fit Cook blog while doing a search for coconut recipes. 
Coconut and mangoes? Shoot, I'm sold! Here is the slightly varied, bomb.com recipe-


What you'll need-
-1 red bell pepper
-1 yellow bell pepper
-1 ripe mango
-1/4 red onion (can be omitted if you are not a fan of onions)
-1 large tomato
-1/2 cup cilantro
-1 egg
-1 bag ( 7oz.) sweetened shredded coconut
-1/2 tsp. cayenne peper
-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
-1 1/2 Tbs. coconut oil (extra virgin olive oil would also work)
- salt and pepper to taste

What you do-
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk egg in shallow bowl. In separate bowl, combine coconut, (I'm a fiend, and went heavy on the coconut. Feel free to use less) cayenne pepper, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
3. Dip each chicken breast in the egg until coated, and let the excess run off. Then dip chicken in the coconut combo making sure it is thoroughly coated.
4. Heat the coconut (or olive) oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken for about 3 minutes on each side, or until golden.
5. Place chicken breasts on parchment paper lined cookie sheet, and bake for about 25 more minutes. Start checking at 20, to make sure they aren't being over cooked.
6. While the chicken is baking, prepare the salsa by dicing both peppers, mango, onion, tomato and cilantro. Season with S&P to taste. 
7. When the chicken is cooked, place on your fancy serving dish, (or in our case, our plates) and top with mango salsa. 
8. ENJOY!!!

The whole family loved it, including the kids, for which it was a colorful and tasty way to get their fruits and veggies in for the day. 


Pin It Now!

5 comments:

  1. I make Skinny Taste's coconut chicken all the time, but I definitely need another healthy coconut & chicken recipe and this is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am pinning this! Too bad my husband won't eat it... Ha! Looks great!
    New follower from Six Sisters. Love for you to stop by and return the follow when you can ;) I am hosting Moms Monday Mingle tomorrow evening. Love for you to stop by and link up.
    Julie @ Naptime Review
    www.thenaptimereview.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delicious! I would love to have you stop by 'Or so she says...' and share your great idea at the link party, happening right now. Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh MY Goodness! This looks so amazing.

    I wanted to invite you to Wonderful Food Wednesday at At Home Take 2... love it if you could link up 2-3 recipes. Hope to see you there.

    Jessica @ At Home Take 2... Check out our Wonderful Food Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes! This looks gluten free. Can't wait to try it! Thanks for joining the party at One Creative Weekend! I hope to see you back today.

    (Feel free to link this up on Gluten-Free Monday too!)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...