Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Unique DIY Wall art

I'm currently in the process of decorating our downstairs hallway. I know, I'm already in the process of a million other projects. Like many of you, I have project ADD. I still have stuff I wanna do in the boy room. I still need to do the big project in the laundry room. I'm in the middle of making the kids Halloween costumes. The list is never-ending. But the hallway walls were bare, and it bugged the heck out of me. I've been trying to think of something super cool to hang up down there and kept coming up empty handed. So I turned to my husband for some input. He really can be quite creative, even though he denies it. This project was all his idea.


I am so in love with it! It's a totally unique, specific to our family, piece of art. The kids especially love that it looks like a secret code.
Here's how I did it-
Lucky for me I had some extra MDF leftover from my Cheap Photo Display sitting in the garage that I could put to use. It measured 16x9, so I just made that work, but it could obviously be whatever size you wanted should you choose to make something similar.
So I spray painted that board Ocean Breeze by Krylon. Which might be my favorite color of all time. It makes the Top 3 easily.

I had to give it 3 good coats for enough coverage. Then gave it a quick sand. (that's 2 words, not like the quicksand, "Help! I'm sinking!") Just enough to take the shine off and distress the edges a bit.
After wiping it down with a damp paper towel to remove the blue sawdust, it was ready for my vinyl!
Each of us, (ok except for the baby- we chose for him) chose a symbol to represent ourselves and our interests.
Using my Silhouette, I cut out each of the images. That is what took the most time, choosing the image, (I just did a google search) and then making sure they would work in the Silhouette software.
Then I applied them to the painted board. Done!
Normally I would have hung it with Command Strips, but I was out of them and impatient, so I used a sawtooth hanger that I had in the toolbox. Doesn't it look cool? I love the fact that even if a million families made one for their house, they would all be different! Someday soon, I'll be done with the hallway, and I'll show the whole thing to you. But for now, just know that it looks awesome! (well, I think so at least)


linking to these parties-
Someday Crafts
House of Hepworths
Tatertots and Jello
Six Sisters Stuff
Classy Clutter
One Creative Mommy
Positively Splendid
Todays Creative Blog
One Artsy Mama
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

  1. I love this. My favorite is the Lego man. I totally Pinned it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't the Lego guy cool? I cut a bunch more out for my son to make all sorts of stuff with. We've got bookmarks, decorated his schoolbooks, etc. Thanks for the pin!

      Delete
  2. That is so cute! I became a follower of your blog and I love it!! :) Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Erin! My kids are totally diggin it! Thanks so much for joining!

      Delete
  3. Ooh, this is too cool! I love how, like you said, it's kind of a secret code for your family! So original and creative! I would be totally thrilled if you'd share it here:
    http://www.oneartsymama.com/2012/09/shine-on-fridays-47-and-michaels-gift.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! Love that it is so customizable. In my family we didn't get passed guns and sewing machine before the laughter started.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great piece of art and a great way to honor your family!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...